“Baby” affair - 5 common mistakes couples make
We asked the experts what are the most common mistakes that couples make when trying to conceive and here is what they told us:
1. Timing: There is a myth that says that the woman ovulates on the 14th day of her cycle. Most couples therefore have intercourse close to the 14th day. However, this applies only to the cycles with a duration of 28 day cycles. Yes, ovulation occurs 14 days before the expected period, but because it is impossible to pinpoint the exact day, couples should use HomeTest ovulation tests to detect the most fertile days.
2. Very frequent intercourse: It may seem strange, but daily intercourse actually prohibits fertility, as the number of mature sperm decreases, resulting in a total decrease in sperm quality. It takes a few days of abstinence for the sperm to go back to the best possible condition. The right thing to do is to find your ovulation day using HomeTest Ovulation Tests and focus on your intercourse on your fertile days.
3. Another bad habit is when the couple carries on ... bad habits. All of the following definitely affect fertility: Smoking, alcohol, poor nutrition, lack of sleep, lack of activity, poor diet, increased body weight, high intake of caffeine.
4. Obsessing about positions: Women need to stop worrying about the right position, as there is no "right position". Strong sperm will pass through the cervix and will swim towards its aim. No wrong position will prevent it!
5. Do not postpone it permanently. Experts say that today's couples postpone trying for a baby, because of their career and other social reasons. But when the time comes, does the baby come easily? The ability to conceive gets more difficult as the woman gets older. So when you feel ready for a baby, don’t postpone it, get started!
View all our blog posts by clicking here.